Adjusting small everyday choices can make a big difference to bladder control.
- Try reducing, or even ceasing, the intake of caffeine, carbonated drinks and alcohol as all of these can irritate the bladder
- Avoid constipation; a diet rich in fruit, vegetables, whole grains and fibre should help, consider a fibre supplement if necessary
- Drink plenty of water as being dehydrated concentrates urine and irritates the bladder
- Quit smoking
- Get weight into the healthy range
- Exercise regularly – it helps with bowel regularity and weight control
In the same way poor bladder habits may have led to incontinence, retraining your bladder into good habits can improve, or even fix the issue.
Learn more about when and why surgery might be considered for male incontinence and the different techniques used.